If you are anything like me you carefully analyze the nutrition labels on everything you eat. An informed consumer is a smart one in terms of preserving health. The United States Food, and Drug Administration (FDA) is requiring all food manufacturers to institute new nutrition label changes beginning July 2018.
The 2018 nutrition labels are going to reflect the newest nutritional science discoveries, and also make it easier for consumers to notice the most important data. This is all a step in the right direction.
Here is a great infographic explaining what is changing:
5 Nutrition Label Changes for 2018
- Servings size label is larger, and more accurate in alignment with current American diets.
- Larger font for calories per serving.
- Fats – Calories from fat has been eliminated. The type of fat is more important than the total amount.
- Added sugars is added to the label.
- Nutrient changes. No more vitamin A, and C. Now we get Vitamin D, and Potassium. Food manufacturers are also listing more accurate daily values of these particular vitamins, and minerals.
Please get in the habit of reading food labels! The new nutrition label changes starting in July of 2018 will definitely help you become more aware of what you are ingesting.